Sunday, February 3, 2008

Book Review: Discordia


Discordia: Hail Eris Goddess of Chaos and Confusion by Malaclypse the Younger and Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst is a reprint of the cult classic Principia Discordia: How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her. It's philosophy disguised as humor disguised as philosophy, or something like that. To be honest, I'm not really sure. Take the following illustrative quote:

Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Greater Pope: Even false things?
Malaclypse the Younger: Even false things are true.
Greater Pope: How can that be?
Malaclypse the Younger: I don't know, man, I didn't do it.

The basic concept behind discordianism is that a balance is required between order and chaos. Since there are organizations dedicated to "law and order," there needs to be a similar disorganization devoted to chaos. My take on this is that chaos doesn't need any help. But the book is funny, and if it helps you laugh at some of your baggage, so much the better.

No comments: