Saturday, March 28, 2009

Book Review: 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card

If you want to use Tarot to do readings for your self or others, or just as a symbol system for personal improvement, 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card by Mary Greer is a good place to start. The book provides a program to use for studying the cards, and an effective method of doing readings.

The book gives a method for readings termed R.I.T.E.: Reading Interactively for Transformation and Empowerment. That's what I've always thought readings should be about. They're not about telling the future. They're about giving people tools for dealing with the future. A reading shouldn't leave the person thinking: "Oh, no! This bad thing's going to happen to me and there's nothing I can do about it." or "Yes! Good things are coming my way; everything is taken care of." It should leave the person thinking: "O.K., now I've seen some factors that can affect what's going to happen. I know what I have to work with, and I can make a plan for dealing with it."

The study program is as follows: pick a card from the deck and apply 21 different ways of looking at it. Repeat with another card, and so forth. Aspects such as symbols, metaphor, stories and others are included. By the time you get through all 21 ways, you'll know the card like the back of your hand. Apply it to all 78 cards, and you'll not only be an expert, you'll be able to write your own book.

I'm following the program with the Page of Pentacles. If you're interested in tarot, you may want to pick up the book, pick a card, and follow the program as well.

No comments: