Sunday, March 16, 2008

Book Review: Anansi Boys

The main character in Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman is called "Fat Charlie." As you may guess from that nickname, the character is a loser. He has a good job and a fiancee, but the whole thing is kept together with chewing gum and duct tape, and will collapse on contact with the next major disturbance. Like, for example, meeting his long-lost brother. Did I mention that the two brothers were sons of an African god?

Like in any work of fiction worth reading, the main characters undergo major transformations in character during the course of the plot. I'm sure that this is no accident; that's what myth is really about. And Mr. Gaiman obviously knows his myths.

This is a fun book. It didn't leave me feeling as if I'd been taken apart and put back together again the way American Gods did, but maybe that's just because I read the other one first. Your mileage may vary.

No comments: